Place To Visit
How to Reach
Place To See
Functions & Duties
Place To See
Sheesh Mahal was built by Nawab Sirajudduala son of the last subedar of Oudh Nawab vazir Safdarjang in 1764 AD. During the Battle of Buxar in 1774 AD Sirajudduala was killed and Oudh got captured by the British. The Cantt. was established in 1856 AD. This Sheesh Mahal was used by British as office cum residence of Governor of Oudh. The building is presently located in campus of supply depot ASC.
Ayodhya was spread in five ‘Koos’ (each koos is about 3 Kms.) containing hundreds of places of religious importance including Kunds. Nirmali Kund is one of the most sacred, historical and religious amongst them. As per Hindu mythology Inder Dev had killed Vratrasur. Killing of Brahm (Brahmhatya) was considered a big sin by him and to purify himself of the sin he had a Bath at Nirmali Kund. By having Bath in Nirmali Kund the common man gets purified of his sins. Shrawan month is considerd most auspicious for the purpose as per Hindu granths.
Lord Rama (after killing Ravana) on his return to Ayodhya is reported to have bathed in this kund before entering Ayodhya so as to purify himself of the sin.
Located on the bank of River Saryu is the spot of disappearance of Lord Rama sojourn on earth and is pilgrimage of thousands of devotees.Large gathering of devotees used to throng this ghat particularly in the month of kartik. On formation of Cantt. in 1856 the major festivals of this ghat have been transferred to Ayodhya.
Garden House - Kothi Hasan Bagh
Between guptarghat and Miranghat there was a three storied building which was the residence of the confidential adviser of “Bahu Begum” wife of Nawab Shajaudduala named Darib Ali Khan. This premises became historical in connection with impeachment trial of Lord Warren Hastings. Remains of this premises are presently under the control of state Govt. Horticulture department.
After independence ASMT moved to Faizabad in 1947 followed by CMP Regimental Centre in 1948. CMP centre constructed a modern state of Art Temple in the year 1964 which is thronged by every devotee visiting Ayodhya. This is being maintained by the Dogral Regimental Centre.
Saint Andrews Church
This church was built at the cost of Rs. 43,000/- and opened in 1860 and was consecrated by Bishop cotton. Christarity reportedly spread from here in the east of United provinces.
Chaudha Koosi Parikrama
On his return from exile the lord Rama before entering Ayodhya took (Parikrama) circumambulation of Ayodhya city on a route of fourteen Koos. Part of this fourteen Koos route passes through the Cantt. on Guptarghat Road from Lucknow Road to Jamtharaghat via Nirmali Kund and Guptargaht. On Kartika Navmi lakhs of people do parikrama on this route and the Cantt. Board provides all amenities and facilities on this occasion like medical camps, lighting, bone fire camps at night to ward pilgrims off the cold, Drinking water and toilets etc.
An ancient temple built by Maharaj Vikramaditya was ruined with passage of time. The mount in place of the temple was worshipped by locals as ‘Hanuman Tilla’ Folklore suggests that Shri Hanuman appeared before the noble Saint Abhay Ram Dasji Tyagi. The saint lived in the era of Nawab Mansoor ali khan Saldor Jang Sahib of Lucknow. Once it is said, the Nawab fell ill and could not be cured by Hakeems, Saint Abhay cured the Nawab after administering some medicines and by worshipping Lord Hanuman. The Nawab was pleased and on regaining his health built a temple for Hanuman. It is only temple in the world with statue of Lord Hanuman sitting on a throne.It is believed that Rama made Hanuman the King of Ayodhya and handed over his “Crown”. One can have a complete and fine view of the city from this temple.
This place was completely built in gold and belonged to Maharani Kaikeyi. This palace was presented to Sita when her face was unveiled after her marriage to Sri Ram. It was one of Lord Ram’s favorite places. King Vikramaditya had built a very large palace here which was subsequently destroyed by Sayed Masoor Gaji. Later, after years of neglect, queen of Tikamgarh, Krishna Bhanu Kunwri of Orekha, rebuilt the palace to its present shape in 1881.
It is believed that whenever Queen Kaiykei was annoyed, she locked herself in her palace called Kop Bhawan. The monument has a statue of Queen Kaiykei. It also has statues of a depressed King Dashratha and Lord Ram and Lakshman taking leave for their exile to the forests.
Treta ke Thakur
Among the numerous temples of Ayodhya, is the Treta ke thakur which marks the place where Rama performed Ashvameda Yagya and set up images of Sita and himself. About three centuries ago, the Raja of Kulu built a new temple presumably on the same site. It was further improved in 1784 by Ahilya Bai, the famous Holkar queen, who built the adjoining Ghat. The ancient images were said to have been thrown into the river by Aurangzeb and subsequently recovered and placed in the new temple known as Kaleram ka Mandir.
The chief place of worship in Ayodhya is the site of ancient citadel of Ram Kot which stood on an elevated ground in the western part of the city. The old rampants have long since disappeared but the mound remains and on it stand a number of temples The temple in Ram Kot was reconstructed from 1936 to 1941 and the idols of old temple were shifted to the new temple. The fort covered a large extent of ground and according to ancient Manu’s scripts, it was surrounded by twenty bastions, each of which, was commanded by one of Rama’s favourite generals. Within the fort, were eight royal mansions, of the patriarch Dashrath, his wives, Rama and his sons.
The Brahminical tradition about this mount (ancient name of which was Chattarban) is that when Rama was waging his Ceylon war, Lakshman was wounded by a poisoned arrow. Hanuman was dispatched to fetch an antidote ‘SANJEEVINI BOOTI’ form the Himalayas. Unfortunately, Hanuman forgot the name of the herb but to make amends, he carried a whole mountain in the palm of his hand, feeling certain that the antidote would be there. As he was flying over Ayodhya, a portion of the mountain fell down and has since been called as Mani parbat.
Along the Saryu river, to the west of the road are the bathing Ghats and a number of Temples, the most important being the Swargadwar Ghat, the ancient Nageshwarnath temple of the mahadeva, the Janki Tirth and the Lakshman Quila Mubarak.. The Nageshwarnath Temple is said to have been built by King Kush, the son of Rama. It is situated in Ram ki Paudi and is dedicated to Lord Shiva. Legend has it that Kush lost his arm band while bathing in Saryu, which was picked up by Nag-Kanya, who fell in love with him. As she was a devotee of Siva, Kush erected this temple to please her. It is said to have been the only temple which survived till the time of Vikramaditya; the rest of the city of Ayodhya having fallen into ruins and became covered with dense forest. It was by means of this temple that Vikramaditya was able to locate Ayodya and the sites of different shrines and sacred places on it. It is said that the original temple was demolished by Aurangzeb and the present temple was reconstructed later.
The temple opens only on ‘Ekadashi’ (the eleventh day of each of fortnight) for worship by public. Maha Shiv ratri is celebrated in this temple. This is equal to that of Vishwanath temple and Somnath temple. This is amongst the most ancient temples in Ayodhya.
Chief Executive Officer
Patel Road, Faizabad Cantonment
Uttar Pradesh (India) , Phone:05278-224325
Army No. 05278-221528 to Ext 2209
Fax: 05278-220387,Pin Code-224001
Swachh Bharat Abhiyan
Swachh Bharat Abhiyan on Cantonment Board Faizabad
Save Water, Save Earth
Water Is Essential Part of Our Life. Without Water we cannot Live, No one can Survive without It. But nowadays we saw that ..